Top 5 Green Gift Ideas Under $10
November 22nd, 2019
By Kristen LaRocque, GreenUP Store and Resource Centre Coordinator
- We have natural soap for all your stockings. The GreenUP Store carries many handmade soaps made locally by master soap-makers, Sherrie LaMasurier of Simply Natural Canada, Katie Legere of Free2Be Wellness and SarahAnn of Charcoal & Rose Petals. Their soaps feature sustainable and locally-sourced ingredients and they come complete with minimal or recyclable packaging. The GreenUP Store also carries many other personal care products such as face serums, shaving soap, and natural deodorants.
2. Looking for something to help reduce reliance on single use plastics? Credo Bags of Montreal makes cotton mesh produce bags that can be used as an alternative to the plastic ones offered at the grocery store. Flimsy, single use plastic bags take one second to make, are used for 20-30 minutes and take over 600 years to decompose!
Colibri Snack Bags are another great option; they are reusable fabric bags with a zipper that can hold anything from grapes to makeup. Their interior nylon lining is water impermeable, which means that you can wipe out crumbs easily or toss it in the washing machine when it needs a deeper clean. There are so many fun and funky fabrics to choose from and they are quite simply, universally useful. Made in Canada and available in a variety of sizes and prints, these bags make lunchtime fun and will reduce the amount of plastic in your life. They’re also great for holding toiletries or storage while travelling, and they tuck nicely into any stocking.
3. Everyone on your Christmas list likely brushes their teeth, at least some of the time. Plastic toothbrushes end up in the landfill at the end of their lifecycle, whereas the bamboo alternative from Brush with Bamboo is an alternative that can be composted at the end of its life. Simply snap off the bristled head and toss it in the garbage. This bamboo toothbrush comes in a compostable cardboard box with vegetable dye printing, so it can safely go into your compost heap as well.
4. Looking for something cute and cuddly that’s as soft as a lamb? Look no further than Canadian- made wool dryer balls from Moss Creek Wool Works, made of 100% merino wool. The GreenUP Store carries white, brown, and grey dryer balls, which are designed to replace dryer sheets. They bounce around and keep items from clumping together, which reduces dryer time and static. We recommend using three or more dryer balls and leaving them in the dryer between loads to avoid them being used as cat toys.
5. Naturally sweet OtonaBEE Apiary honey is the perfect treat for a loved one. At the GreenUP Store, we carry liquid and creamed clover and buckwheat honey in various sized jars to fit any stocking size. OtonaBEE honey is 100% pure, just as the bees make it!
GreenUP is a non-profit charity. When you shop at the GreenUP Store you are directly supporting GreenUP and all proceeds support environmental programs in the Peterborough area – that’s a gift that gives twice! The GreenUP Store is located at 378 Aylmer Street in downtown Peterborough. Check out greenup.on.ca for holiday hours, gift ideas, and more.
With so much good stuff to choose from, you may want to give gift certificates, which can be purchased at the GreenUP Store or through our website by clicking here >
You also have the option to support our Ecology Park fundraising campaign by adding a donation to your gift by clicking here > You’ll receive a charitable tax receipt for your contribution. With the funds raised this holiday season, we plan to install features that will help make Ecology Park accessible for all visitors, and you’ll also ensure that our renowned environmental programs will continue for years to come.
During the holiday season our thoughts turn gratefully to those who have made our progress possible. In this spirit we say simply and sincerely, thank you and best wishes for the Holiday Season and a Happy New Year, from all of us at GreenUP.